Basil is a herb that is native to tropical regions of central Africa and Southeast Asia. It is a tender perennial plant that is commonly used in culinary applications, as well as for its potential health benefits. The leaves of the basil plant are green and fragrant and have a slightly spicy flavour.
Basil essential oil is extracted from the leaves and flowers of the basil plant through a process of steam distillation. The oil has a strong, fresh, and spicy aroma, and is known for its potential benefits in aromatherapy. Basil essential oil is believed to help with mental clarity and focus, as well as to help with respiratory issues such as congestion.
Botanical Name : Ocimum basilicum
CAS# : 8015-73-4
Origin : Egypt
Method of Extraction : Steam Distillation
Source : Leaves of the Ocimum basilicum botanical
Solubility : Alcohol water
Color & Odor : pale yellow to brownish yellow in color and has a naturally sweet, herbaceous, and balsamic odor with a tinge of camphor
Constituents : methyl cinnamate, linalool, β-elemene, and camphor
Specific Gravity : 0.89000 to 0.93000 @ 25.00 °C
Flash Point : 75.00 °C
Optical Rotation : +1° to -18°
Major Constituents : methyl cinnamate, linalool, β-elemene, and camphor
Basil essential oil has a wide range of potential benefits, which include:
- Mental clarity and focus: The fresh, spicy aroma of basil essential oil is believed to help with mental clarity and focus. It is often used in aromatherapy to help improve concentration and focus.
- Respiratory issues: Basil essential oil is believed to help with respiratory issues such as congestion, and can be used to help clear the sinuses and ease breathing.
- Anti-inflammatory: Basil essential oil is known for its anti-inflammatory properties, and can be used to help with muscle and joint pain, as well as other inflammatory conditions such as eczema and acne.
- Digestive issues: Basil essential oil is known to have a positive effect on digestion, and can help with nausea and stomach cramps.
- Immune system support: Basil essential oil may help to stimulate the immune system and help to fight off infections.
- Headaches and migraines: Basil essential oil is believed to help alleviate headaches and migraines when applied topically or inhaled.
- Insect repellent: Basil essential oil is known to repel insects when used topically or diffused in the air.
Please keep in mind that essential oils should be used with caution and it is always best to consult a healthcare professional before using basil essential oil for medicinal purposes and always perform a patch test before using topically.