Ajwain (Trachyspermum ammi) is a small, annual herb that belongs to the Apiaceae family. People commonly know it as carom or bishop’s weed. It originates from India and the Middle East. The plant grows to a height of about 30-60 cm and has green, feathery leaves and small white or pink flowers. The seeds of the plant are small, oval-shaped, and have a strong, pungent aroma.
Ajwain Hydrosl, is also known as Ajwain Floral Water, is a by-product of the steam distillation process used to extract the essential oil from the seeds of the Ajwain plant. Floral water contains the water-soluble compounds of the plant and has a similar, but milder, aroma compared to essential oil. It is a versatile and natural alternative to use in skincare, aromatherapy, and household cleaning. You can use it as a skin toner, add it to bath water, or use it as a room freshener. It has anti-inflammatory, antispasmodic, and antiseptic properties.
Botanical Name: Trachyspermum ammi
Origin: India and the Middle East
Method of Extraction: Steam Distillation
Solubility: Water Soluble
Color & Odor: Colorless to brownish in color and Thyme-like aroma
Constituents: Thymol, Oleic acid, linoleic acid, gamma-terpinene, p-cymene, palmitic acid, and xylene.
Specific Gravity: Specific Gravity: 0.910 – 0.930g/ml
Flash Point: 65°C
Optical Rotation: 0.0 to +5 @25°
Major Constituents: Thymol was found as a major component along with p-cymene, gamma-terpinene, beta-pinene, terpinene-4-ol
Ajwain hydrosol floral water, also known as Ajwain hydrosol, has a wide range of potential benefits. Some of the uses and benefits of Ajwain hydrosol include:
- Digestive Aid: Ajwain hydrosol is known to help with digestive issues such as bloating, gas, and indigestion. It can be consumed internally or applied topically to the abdominal area to provide relief.
- Respiratory Problems: Ajwain hydrosol has expectorant and decongestant properties which help to clear the respiratory tract and relieve symptoms of colds, flu, and asthma.
- Anti-inflammatory: Ajwain hydrosol has anti-inflammatory properties which can help to reduce inflammation and pain caused by conditions such as arthritis, rheumatism and other inflammatory conditions.
- Antispasmodic: Ajwain hydrosol can help to relax muscle spasms and cramps, making it useful for conditions such as menstrual cramps, headaches, and spasmodic coughs.
- Antiseptic: Ajwain hydrosol has antiseptic properties that can help to prevent infection and promote healing. It can be used to cleanse cuts, scrapes, and other wounds.
- Skin Toner: Ajwain hydrosol can be used as a skin toner to tighten and tone the skin, leaving it feeling refreshed and rejuvenated.
- Insect Repellent: Ajwain hydrosol can be used as an insect repellent to keep mosquitoes and other insects away.
Please consult a healthcare professional before using Ajwain hydrosol for medicinal purposes, and always perform a patch test before using it topically.
*Packaging in G.I. Drums is also Available